The Social Justice Committee has been set up by the Parish Pastoral Council. Members of the Committee are conscious of their relationship with the Parish. They also network with other organisations and groups committed to justice action.
As members of a Christian community trying to discern the mind and heart of Jesus we seek to develop an integrated spirituality marked by prayer, reflection, sensitivity to others and a willingness to work for structural changes in our society to protect the poor and marginalized, therefore we will:
- Educate ourselves and others, and raise awareness in the community about issues of poverty and injustice at local and global levels;
- Encourage a personal response as we encounter situations of injustice, poverty and inequality in our world;
- Challenge members of the community to work towards changing unjust and oppressive structures — locally, nationally and globally — and to take a lead in positive action for justice and peace.
- Network with groups and organisations whose goals are similar to our own.
Particular areas of concern and justice action have included:
- Action against Landmines
- Millennium Development Goals
- Aboriginal Reconciliation
- Earth and Water Issues and sustainability
- East Timor
- HIV/AIDS in Zimbabwe – support for education and feeding programme
- Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Action for Peace
- Fair Trade